Celebrate Philly Love Your Park Week
Out-of-towners may think of Philly as an urban jungle, but we’re lucky to have over 100 area parks to meet and exceed our “great outdoors” quota.
There’s a laundry list of park events happening over the next week, here’s a few of the highlights:
- Get involved with Love Your Park service day. Volunteer to help green local parks by getting your hands dirty with some planting and gardening. Check out details and sign up info. Saturday, May 12th 7am-5pm
- International Migration Day, and beginner birdshop workshop at Pennypack Environmental Center. Experienced bird counters are invited to count migrating and non-migrating birds. The beginner’s workshop will include a walk and tips on how to identify bird species. Reservations are required, please call 215-685-0470. Saturday, May 12th
- 51st annual Fitler Square spring fair: Enjoy food, music, and entertainment while browsing the flea market, book and plant sales. Saturday, May12th 10am-4pm
- Clark Park Farmers‘ Market: If the organic fruits and vegetables don’t get you the amish sweet pastries, breads and chocolate will. Saturday, May12th 10am-2pm
- Dr White Regatta on the Schuylkill: Watch rowers compete in multiple races all day long. (If you’ve never been check it out! This is one of my fav May happenings in Philly.) Sunday, May 13th 9am-5pm
- Breakfast with Mom: This Mother’s day event includes breakfast treats, a show by the Philadelphia Dance Academy’s Youth Company, mini golf and unlimited carousel rides for Mom. Reservations required, call 215-629-4026. Sunday, May 13th 11am-4pm
- Phillies Pep Rally: Now that the Flyers are out for the season, it’s time to refocus attention on the Phils. Head to Pleasant Hill park for Chickie & Pete’s grub, cheerleaders and the like. Monday, May 14th 5-7pm
- Meteorite Myths: The Friends of Wissahickon host Len Jensen, President of Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers, to discuss and answer questions about metorites. Monday, May 14th 7-830pm
- Sustainability in Philadelphia Discussion: Join Katherine Gajewski from the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability. Katherine will discuss Greenworks Philadelphia and the city’s sustainability plans. Tuesday, May 15th 6-7pm
Readers, anything you’re excited to check out?
Posted by Beth